Congratulations to Graham Stuart on his re-election as Member of Parliament for the Beverley and Holderness Constituency.
The results of the poll are as follows:
- Graham Stuart – Conservative – 25,063
- Craig Dobson – Liberal Democrats – 12,076
- Ian Saunders – Labour Party – 11,224
- Neil Whitelam – British National Party – 2,080
- Andy Horsfield – United Kingdom Independence Party – 1,845
- Bill Rigby – Green Party – 686
- Ron Hughes – Independent – 225
Majority 12,987 (24.4%)
Turnout 53,199 (66.8%)
Graham on his Twitter page expressed his pleasant surprise at the size of his majority, but has warned that:
Pitching the country into a ferocious battle over voting systems would be irresponsible madness when we are in such a big economic hole.”
His warning came as a ‘hung’ Parliament seemed the most likely possibility with the Liberal Democrats playing a pivotal role in negotiations on forming a Government. Electoral reform is one of the key polices that distinguish the Lib Dems from the other two main political parties.