Business news

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – “Be aware, be safe!” says Our Plumber

Lee Larkin - Our Plumber vanEVERY YEAR thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

  • dizziness and nausea (feeling sick)
  • vomiting (being sick)
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Hedon-based plumber, Our plumber, is undertaking a campaign to increase awareness of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning; they would like to see every home and property in Hedon fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.

“Our Plumber is determined to increase the current levels of safety for everyone. Our vision is to have a carbon monoxide alarm in every home and property starting in our home town of Hedon. Our Plumber will continue to highlight the importance of a fitted alarm and the continuity of regular maintenance on fuel burning appliances.

Lee Larkin boiler check

Lee – Our Plumber boiler service

“Carbon monoxide is produced when gas appliances, such as boilers, built-in ovens, fires or freestanding cookers, are not fully burning their fuel. This usually happens if they have been incorrectly or badly fitted, not properly maintained and serviced, or if vents, chimneys or flues become blocked.

“It is estimated that around 4,000 people attend accident and emergency departments in England each year because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Although most of the 4,000 people would not be sick enough to be admitted to hospital, it is known that long-term exposure is associated with neurological effects – such as having difficulties in concentrating. It is estimated that 40-50 people die each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, this just highlights the severity of keeping safe.

“Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess Carbon monoxide is produced, which is poisonous. When Carbon monoxide enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

“The best way of protecting you and your family is to be aware of the dangers and identify any appliances in your house that could potentially leak carbon monoxide. You should install a carbon monoxide alarm, as this will detect a leak in your home and give out a high-pitched noise when gas levels are high. However, alarms are not a substitute for maintaining and regularly servicing household appliances.”

Our Plumber is Gas Safe Registered and a local company that is keen to offer community benefits over and above the professional fixed-price services it provides. They have recently donated raffle prizes for the Hedon Inmans Gala taking place on Thursday 25th June, and they also hope to be involved in HedFest in August 2015.

To find out more about Our Plumber, visit the website.

Visit: www.ourplumber.biz 

Does your Hedon business have a powerful message to give that benefits local communities? Let the Hedon Blog share that message for you!

E-mail your community message or other local business news, to : hedonblog@gmx.com

Leave a Reply (FULL NAMES please, don't post anonymously)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s